What is Epic?
Epic is the world's leading online children's subscription book service offering immediate, on-demand access to over 40,000 high-quality illustrated books and chapter books for children ages 12 and under. Epic's ever-expanding library also includes thousands of Read-to-Me books, Audiobooks, educational videos, and fun educational quizzes. Partnerships with leading publishers, including HarperCollins and National Geographic, bring age-appropriate, award-winning fiction and non-fiction books to your child's fingertips.
With an Epic subscription, books can be easily discovered, read, and shared with friends! Personalized for each individual reader, Epic is the only place to access thousands of high-quality, curated children’s books without having to purchase or download titles individually. Beautifully designed for mobile and web use featuring fun game-like elements, Epic provides kids with a personal library-on-demand that they can take with them anywhere! In a world of unlimited screen time, Epic is a smart and safe alternative to generic games and videos. Join the Epic community today at www.getepic.com.
Is Epic safe and appropriate for my children?
Epic was created by two parents who recognized a need for a safe place for their own children to read, learn and explore on their devices. They understood that the internet wasn’t built for kids, and with these concerns in mind, Epic was born. Careful human curation is the heart of Epic’s brand and is what sets us apart from other popular services for children.
Epic is, and will always be, a safe and secure environment for children to explore. We work tirelessly to ensure that children will never come across inappropriate content, in-app purchases or ads on Epic.
Here are a few of the ways Epic is able to confidently create and maintain a safe environment for discovery and learning:
- Epic’s library has been carefully curated with content from only the most reputable and respected partners like National Geographic Kids and Sesame Workshop, so children have access to the highest quality content available.
- Every piece of content available on Epic - including books, read-to-me books, audiobooks, and videos - has been carefully and thoughtfully hand-picked by real people, including teachers and librarians, not computers or algorithms.
- While some of Epic’s videos also appear on YouTube or have been created by popular YouTube creators, the Epic team reviews every single video before it is made available to children. In addition, Epic only publishes clean versions of these videos, without ads, commercial messages or prompts to subscribe.
- Epic does not stream content from any other website or company. Every single piece of content, video or otherwise, lives on our own servers in a controlled environment, so content can never be uploaded to our platform that has not been reviewed and approved by our highly qualified team.
Epic strives to delight and inspire children while serving as a trusted resource for families and educators alike.
Enhancing Accessibility on Epic: The Best Apps & Features
At Epic, we are committed to making our platform accessible to all users, including those with visual and hearing impairments. Our platform has built-in feature(s) that enhance accessibility:
- Speech-to-text search (iOS only): Allows users to search for books or topics using voice commands.
- Read-To-Me books: Professionally recorded narration reads aloud while the book plays. Pages turn automatically and words are highlighted as they’re read aloud. Readers can adjust the play-back speed.
- Audiobooks: Professionally recorded narration reads the book aloud. Unlike Read-To-Me books, audiobooks are strictly audio—there is no visual book or pages to follow along with. Listeners can adjust the play-back speed.
In addition, we recommend exploring third-party apps available on both Apple and Google platforms. Here are a few apps and/or features for each platform that can address visual and hearing accessibility needs:
For Apple Users:
- VoiceOver (iOS): Built-in screen reader on iOS devices that provides spoken feedback to help users with visual impairments navigate and interact with their devices and apps.
- Seeing AI (iOS): Designed to assist individuals with visual impairments. It can identify objects, read documents, recognize faces and more through the power of artificial intelligence.
- Be My Eyes (iOS): Connects visually impaired users with sighted volunteers through video calls, enabling them to get assistance with various tasks in real-time, enhancing their independence.
For Google Users:
- TalkBack (Android): Android screen reader that provides spoken feedback and navigation assistance to users with visual impairments, making it easier for them to interact with their devices and apps.
- Google Live Transcribe (Android): Transcribes spoken words into text in real-time, assisting individuals with hearing impairments by providing a written record of conversations and spoken content.
- Sound Amplifier (Android): Designed to improve the listening experience for users with hearing difficulties. It enhances audio quality and reduces background noise, making conversations and media more accessible.
By exploring these recommended apps alongside Epic's built-in accessibility features, you can create a more inclusive and accessible learning environment for all users. If you have any further questions or need additional assistance, please don't hesitate to contact our support team at email@example.com.
I forgot my password. What should I do?
Please click or tap on the "forgot your password?" link located at the bottom of the sign-in page of the app/site. A password reset email will be sent to the email address associated with your Epic account (if you don't receive the reset email within 15 minutes, please check your spam or junk folder).
If you did not receive your password reset email or have trouble resetting your password, let us know! We're happy to help!
Does Epic offer a version for Educators?
Yes! We actually offer Epic School - our educator app - for free to elementary school teachers and elementary school librarians. You can sign up for a free Epic School account on our website using your school email address.
To sign up for your free Epic School account, please visit www.getepic.com/educators.
*The Educator version of Epic (Epic School) is intended for use in the brick-and-mortar elementary school classrooms or school library only. If your school is currently remote learning, you can still use Epic with your class during school hours (7am-3pm, Monday-Friday).
How do my students log into my educator classroom?
Reading with Epic is easy to do, and any number of devices can be logged into the same educator account simultaneously!
Here's how students log into your educator classroom:
1. Have your students go to kids.getepic.com/students or use the Epic app on their Android/iOS device, and click "Enter Class Code".
2. Students enter their classroom code*
3. Students select their profile
*To find your code, go to: Where can I find my classroom code?
Why did you update the URL for students?
You may have noticed the URL (web address) for students has changed, from getepic.com/students to kids.getepic.com/students. This new URL helps ensure your students' data is safe and secure while they're using Epic. There's no need to update your students-anyone who attempts to access Epic using the old URL will be automatically redirected to the new one. The new URL is just one of many safeguards we have in place to protect your students' information online. Learn more
Instructions on how to use Epic School
How can educators invite students to read on Epic School?
Educators can invite students to read on Epic School using the instructions located in the educator dashboard. Using the class code to access Epic School (whether in the classroom or remotely during distance learning) is permissible Monday - Friday, 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. local time on the days that school is in session.
Is there any way for my students to read after 3 p.m.?
Yes! Your students and their families can use Epic before and after school and on weekends by subscribing to Epic Unlimited. With Epic Unlimited, students get unlimited, anytime access to our entire library of over 40,000 books, including Epic Originals, Read-To-Me books, videos, animated books, audiobooks and Motion Comics. Epic Unlimited also includes fun, interactive learning tools that keep kids motivated as they build their vocabulary & reading comprehension skills.
This year we’re offering a special, limited-time discount that educators may share with their students and their families: $67.99 for the first year ($79.99 value) if they purchase an annual plan. You can share it via flyer or by sending a message through your educator dashboard. Simply log in to your dashboard, then click on "See Offer" below to learn more about how to share the special promotion!
What devices can be used to access Epic?
Epic is available on any web browser (on a laptop or desktop computer), or the Epic app on any iOS or Android device. (Be sure parents update their app for the latest version.)
What happens when I archive my roster? Will my students still be able to access Epic Unlimited?
As long as students are logging in with a Parent account by going to www.getepic.com/sign-in and entering the same parent email and password that was used to set up their Epic Unlimited account, they will be able to access Epic Unlimited even if you archive the student on your roster.
Can my school purchase memberships in bulk for all of our students’ families?
We currently do not offer an option for school purchases of bulk home memberships for students. However, we thank you for your support in keeping kids reading at home.